Hyderabadi Veggie Dum Biryani
Hyderabadi Veggie Dum Biryani is a wonderful and popular dish in India. I have become a die hard fan of it recently after eating the vegetarian version of it. Being a vegetarian, it was really painful watching my friends eat this lovely biryani with meat. Finally I happened to try the vegetarian version and I just fell in love. Now I can understand why my friends are so crazy about this Biryani all the time.
I was looking for the recipe and alas! Shriya had posted Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani a few months back. I just altered it a bit here and there and replaced chicken with veggies and it came out really good. So the next time this is going to be the main dish for our weekend get-together. Here you go…
Preparation time: 90 minutes
Spice Level: 3.5 out of 5
No. of servings: 5 to 6
- Green chillies – 5
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Black cumin or Kala Jeera – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- salt – 1 tsp
- Whole Javetri or mace – 1 or 2
- Yogurt – 1/2 cupLime juice – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1″
- Cardamom – 3
- Whole black pepper – 7
- Fresh mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Basmati rice – 3 cups
- Saffron – 1/4 tsp
- Fried Paneer – 1 cup
- cauliflower florets and cubed potatoes – 1 cup each
- 1″ cut beans – 3/4 cup
- green peas – 3/4 cup
- Cut onions – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Bay leaf
- Cloves – 2
- Black cumin seeds or kala jeera – 1 tsp
- Ghee or Clarified butter – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup</l/
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
Method of Preparation:
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and fry onions till it becomes brown and crisp.
- Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, whole pepper. Cool it and grind it. You can also use any Biryani Masala instead of this.
- Just pulse the mint leaves and cilantro.
- In a bowl mix the ground mixture or biryani masala, pulsed mint and cilantro along with the remaining ingredients of the marinade.
- Add the vegetables and paneer to the marinade, mix well and let them sit for half an hour.
- Drain basmati rice.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a heavy bottomed vessel and add a tbsp of ghee and oil each, add bay leaf, black cumin, cloves, cinnamon followed by basmati rice.
- Cook it for 3 minutes at high heat till the rice if half cooked. Rice will be a little hard to touch.
- Now drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Add saffron to 3 tbsp of hot water and mix well. You can also use food color (orange) diluted in water instead.
- Take half of the drained rice and mix this saffron water to give a nice orange color.
- In the same heavy bottomed vessel heat the remaining oil and ghee at medium low, add the marinated vegetables and paneer and cook for 5 minutes or till you get rid off the raw smell of masala.
- Add drained rice and the saffron rice, fried onions, cilantro and mint leaves.
- Give it a careful stir and remove from heat.
- Now you have to dum cook the biryani.
- I did it by covering the mouth of the biryani container with a kitchen towel and then closed it with a lid tightly (Refer here for pictures).
- Boil some water in a pan at high heat.
- Now place the biryani container over the boiling water for around 5 to 10 minutes or till a nice aroma starts spreading.
- Remove from heat and transfer it to another vessel and mix gently.
- Follow the same procedure till step 12.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- In an aluminum tray add the remaining oil and ghee, add the marinated vegetables and paneer, drained rice and the saffron rice, fried onions, cilantro and mint leaves.
- Cover it with aluminum foil and place it in the oven for 40 minutes or till the rice is fully cooked.
- Check for every 15 minutes to avoid over cooking of rice.
- Remove the tray and mix the biryani gently.
Serve hot with raitha.
I would like to submit this recipe for the event Let’s Relish – Paneer by Jay.
Note: For detailed pictures and the original recipe, please refer Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani.