Raw Mango Rice – Manga Sadham
It’s mango season and time to try different recipes with mangoes. They are widely grown in India and there are many varieties available. We make a lot of dishes with ripe as well as raw mangoes. Today I have shared one of those recipes, Raw Mango Rice which is a simple and tasty dish. It is called Manga Sadham in Tamil, Maamidikaya Pulihora in Telugu and Mavinkayi Chitranna in Kannada. It is specially made for Ugadi festival. Raw mango is well seasoned with spices and lentils and mixed with cooked rice. You can make this dish for a quick lunch or dinner. This rice can be served with something spicy such as Mirchi Masala or Tomato Kuzhambu or Salan for which I will be posting the recipes soon.
- Finely grated mango – 2 cups
- Cooked rice – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- A few curry leaves
- Green chilies – 3
- Dried red chilies – 5
- Grated ginger – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- A big pinch of asafoetida
- A handful of unsalted peanuts
- Broken cashew nut – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnishing
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add asafoetida, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves, green chilies and dried red chilies.
- Fry them until lentils are golden brown. Add grated ginger and turmeric powder and toss for a few seconds
- Add grated mango and salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat.
- In a separate pan add a few drops of oil and roast peanuts and cashew nuts until golden brown.
- Add roasted nuts to the mango mixture and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Spread rice in a wide bowl and let it cool and then add the mango mix and toss until rice is well coated.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with tomato kuzhambu or Salan or Mirchi masala.