Spicy Vegetable Pulao is a wonderful one pot meal which is cooked with a blend of spices and vegetables with flavorful Basmati rice. Pulao can be made in different ways and there are many versions and recipes. This one is a spicy version of pulao cooked in coconut milk which gives it a rich and authentic taste. When I said spicy, I meant the flavorful spices but not the heat. You can serve this pulao with raitha.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Spice level: 3 out of 5
- Basmati rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Vegetables – 3 cups (carrot, beans, potato, cauliflower)
- Green peas (fresh or frozen) – 1/4 cup
- One big onion – thinly sliced
- Tomato -1
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Ghee or clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) – 1 cup
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nut – 4 tbsp (soak 3 tbsp in water)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 2″
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 2
Masala to grind:
- Green chilies – 8 to 10 (adjust to taste)
- Mint leaves – a small bunch
- Coriander leaves – 3/4 cup
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 an inch
- Garlic – 5
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded coconut – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 2
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 15 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a pan. Drain rice and fry it for 2 minutes and keep it aside.
- Cut the vegetables into 1 inch pieces.
- Grind the masala ingredients with a little water to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil and the remaining ghee in a pan and add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves.
- After a minute add thinly sliced onions and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and vegetables with a little salt.
- After 3 minutes add ground masala and ground tomato.
- Let it cook for 5 to 7 minutes and then add coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Allow it to boil.
- In between grind 1 cup of coriander leaves, 2 tbsp mint leaves and soaked cashew nut to a fine, thin paste.
- Add half of this paste to the cooking gravy along with rice. Mix well and transfer the contents to a pressure cooker and cook for a whistle.
- Or transfer the contents to an electric rice cooker and cook until rice is well done.
- Transfer the pulao to a serving tray, add the rest of the coriander mint cashew paste. Mix gently without breaking the rice.
- Fry broken cashew nut in a little ghee and add it on top. Serve hot with raitha.