This is a simple version of Vegetable Biryani which is served along with raitha. For a quick lunch or to serve your guests in a short notice, this is one of the best dishes. Hope you enjoy the dish. Here you go…
Preparation time: 45 minutes
No. of servings: 5
Spice level: 4 out of 5
- Basmati rice – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Thinly sliced onions – 1.5 cups cups
- Tomato – 1
- Vegetables – 2 cups (carrot, beans, peas, potato)
- Green chilly – 2 (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 3/4 tsp
- Biryani masala – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1″
- Black and green cardamom – 1 each
- Cloves – 4
- Small bay leaves – 2
- Black cumin (kala jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Mace (javetri) – 1/2 (3/4″ piece)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) – 3/4 cup
- Finely chopped mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee or clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1.5 cups
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Cut vegetables into 1″ pieces.
- Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add kala jeera, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamoms and cloves. After a minute add onions and fry till it becomes brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and slit green chillies. After two minutes add the vegetables and stir well.
- Now add salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, biryani masala and cumin powder.
- Cook until the raw smell of the spices are gone for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- In between, heat ghee in another pan and
add the ground powder followed by add fennel seeds and bay leaves.
- Drain rice and add it to the pan. Stir gently without breaking the rice for a minute. Turn off the stove.
- Add mint leaves and cilantro to the vegetables and spice mixture. Add some water if required.
- A thick gravy is obtained. Add rice to this gravy and mix well.
- Remove from heat and transfer it to an electric cooker or pressure cooker. Add 2 1/2 cups of water(approx ratio 1:1.5).
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cook the rice for one whistle and then remove from heat.
- If you are using an electric cooker as soon as the light turns to warm or the the rice is cooked, transfer the contents to a hot pack or a serving tray to avoid burning rice at the bottom.
Serve hot with Raitha.