Bean Burrito is one of my favorite from Taco Bell fast food restaurant. Bean along with cheese, sour cream, rice, etc. are wrapped in a grilled tortilla which is so comforting. My version of burrito is with vegetables and bean, a less guilt version. I have used the ready made tortillas. You can also use homemade tortilla. Please find the recipe below. Here you go…
Preparation time: 30 minutes
No. of servings: 3 to 4
Spice level: 2.5 out of 5
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable shortening – 1/4 cup
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- Flour tortillas – 4
- Chopped onion – 3/4 cup
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Jalapeños pepper – 3 tbsp
- Tomato – 1
- Corn kernels – 4 tbsp
- Black beans – 1 can
- Cream cheese – 2 tbsp
- Shredded cheddar cheese – 1/4 cup
- Sour cream – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Avocado – 1
- Oil – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add vegetable shortening and mix with the flour.
- Now add hot water and knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Make small balls and roll them to a thin bread. Dust each ball with a little flour before rolling.
- Grill them in a pan.
- You can also use the ready made tortillas available in stores.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions and sauté till it becomes soft.
- Add garlic, jalapeños and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain the beans and add it to the pan and cook them for 10 minutes.
- In between mash one third of beans and add corn kernels and cream cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and remove the pan from heat. Bean stuffing is ready.
- Slit open avocado and mash the flesh.
If you are using the ready made tortillas, grill them slightly and scoop out some stuffing and place it in the middle, add a tbsp mashed avocado, sour cream, some cheddar cheese (adjust to taste) and roll it. You can also add cilantro rice to it if you like. Burrito is ready.
Serve hot with hot sauce…