Its one of my favorite recipe. once you make this sambar you will love it. such an special sambar it is. Especially it goes well with idli, dosa. A wonderful breakfast dish.
Preparation time: 45 mins
No. of Servings: 4-5
Spice level: 2 out of 5
- Vegetables(Carrot,Beans or Drumstick or potatoes )
- Pearl onions : 10 to 12 nos
- Tomatoes:3 nos
- Red gram(Toor dal) : 1/2 cup
- Tamarind:lemon size ball
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt:As reqd
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mustard seeds:1 tsp
- Red chillies : 2 nos
- Curry leaves : 2 springs
- Fennel seeds :1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds :2 tbsp
- Bengal gram(Channa dal) :2 tsp
- Fenugreek:1 tsp
- Red chillies:5 nos
- Curry leaves:4 sprigs
- Asafoetida: 1/2″ piece
- Coriander leaves(optional) : few springs
- Oil: 2 tbsp or ghee (ghee gives more aroma and taste too)
Method of Preparation
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai.
- Fry all ingredients for the masala by adding them one by one(or each separately) till they lose their raw flavor.
- Grind them to a fine paste.
- Boil red gram and mash and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed vessel add pearl onions and fry them.
- Now Add all vegetables (except tomato) along with turmeric powder, salt to the above fried onions and allow to boil till vegetables are cooked.
- Now add the cut tomatoes in to the above boiling mixture .
- And add the ground masala in to it.
- Boil it until the vegetables get fully cooked.
- Update: Now add the mashed dal and bring it to boil.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup water and squeeze out the juice and add this to the boiling vegetables.
- Heat oil in another small frying pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds, red chillies ,Asafoetida ,fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Pour the above seasoning into the sambar.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
You can also serve it with rice, dosa or idlis.
you can add any vegetables in this sambhar but always try to use small onions(it gives good taste).