Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu – Spicy Brinjal Curry
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu or Kulambu is one of the delicious South Indian dishes served with steamed rice. This can also be served with idly/dosa. Brinjal or eggplant is shallow fried and cooked in a tangy and spicy gravy. Also check out out other Kuzhambu recipes.
- Small or medium size brinjal or eggplants – 7 or 8
- Small onions or shallots – 8
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic pods – 4
- A few curry leaves
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) – 1/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies – 4
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind juice – 1 and 1/2 cups (extracted from a small lime size of tamarind)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp (preferably sesame oil)
Masala to grind:
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Frozen or fresh shredded coconut – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Cut the stem off and slit brinjal into 4 keeping the bottom portion in tact.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds, curry leaves, sesame seeds, urad dal, garlic and red chilies. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Coat brinjal with oil and transfer it to a microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle some water and microwave it on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until brinjal becomes soft.
- Add onions to the pan and saute with a little salt until it becomes translucent and soft followed by chopped tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes are cooked, add brinjal and turmeric powder and saute for about 10 minutes until it gets slightly browned and cooked.
- Add sambar powder, mix well and then add tamarind juice.
- Let it boil over medium heat until the raw smell of tamarind and sambar powder is gone (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Heat a tsp of oil in a separate pan and add coriander seeds.
- When it splutters add coconut and turn off the heat. Grind it to a fine powder.
- Add this to the boiling mixture with some more water and salt. Make sure to check for salt before adding.
- Let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until it becomes a thick gravy.
- Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is ready. Serve hot with rice.
Note: Microwaving brinjal reduces the cooking time. But if you prefer not to do it, you can add it to the pan and saute it until it becomes cooked and brown.