Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu – Spicy Brinjal Curry
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu or Kulambu is a delicious South Indian gravy prepared by frying brinjal or eggplant which is then cooked in a tangy and spicy gravy. You can serve it with rice, idly/dosa.
- Small or medium size brinjal or eggplants – 7 or 8
- Small onions or shallots – 8
- Tomato – 1
- Garlic pods – 4
- A few curry leaves
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) – 1/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies – 4
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind juice – 1 and 1/2 cups (extracted from a small lime size of tamarind)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp (preferably sesame oil)
Masala to grind:
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Frozen or fresh shredded coconut – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Wash brinjal and wipe dry.
- Cut the stem off and slit brinjal into 4 keeping the bottom portion in tact.
- Coat brinjal with oil and transfer it to a microwave safe bowl. Sprinkle some water and microwave it on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until brinjal becomes soft. Alternatively, fry the slit brinjal in 1/4 cup of oil until it becomes tender and cooked. Keep the brinjals aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, methi seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, sesame seeds, pressed garlic and red chilies. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add onions and saute with a little salt until it becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until soft. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and saute for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add fried brinjal and gently mix well and then add tamarind juice with 1/2 cup of water..
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat for 6 minutes.
- In between heat a few drops of oil in a separate pan and roast coriander seeds. Add coconut and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool and grind it to a fine powder.
- Add this to the pan along with one more cup of water and salt.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until oil starts oozing out. Turn off the heat.
- Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is ready. Serve hot with rice.