Gobi Manchurian dry – Cauliflower Manchurian dry
Gobi Manchurian or Cauliflower Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese appetizer. Cauliflower florets are dipped in corn flour and maida (all purpose flour) batter and fried. It is then sauted in a spicy, sweet and tangy sauce. You can serve it as an appetizer or can be served with fried rice or roti.
Ingredients I (Preparation of Sauce):
- Chopped onion – 1 cup
- Green chilly – 2
- Green onions – 1/4 cup
- Half green bell pepper, chopped
- Finely chopped garlic or garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Green chilly sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red chili sauce – 1 tbsp
- Sweet and sour sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Tomato sauce – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro or coriander leaves for garnishing
Ingredients II (Preparation of cauliflower fritters):
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1/2 cup
- Corn flour – 6 tsp
- Finely chopped garlic – 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
Method of Preparation:
- Cut the cauliflower into medium size florets and microwave it along with 1 cup of water for 3 minutes. Let it rest in there for another 3 minutes and then strain it.
- If not add it to the boiling water and turn off heat and let it rest for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat before it gets overcooked and then strain it. Keep it aside.
- Make a thin batter with around a cup of water using the ingredients II except oil. The batter should coat the back of a spoon.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai over medium high heat.
- Now dip the florets in the batter and drop it in oil. Fry till golden brown turning both the sides.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the florets.
- While frying the florets, in another stove heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wide pan.
- Add onions and fry till they become translucent and then add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped green chillies, green onions, chopped bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder and salt and stir them together and cook until the raw smell is gone.
- Add all the sauces and vinegar one by one and mix them well.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and cook for a couple of minutes and turn off the stove.
- Now add the fried cauliflower to it and toss gently till it is coated with the sauce.
- After a couple of minutes remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green onions.
Serve hot as a starter. You can also serve it with Chappathy/Fried Rice Note: Add the fritters to the prepared sauce about 5 to 8 minutes before serving. This will keep them crispy.