I got this yellow cucumber from one of my friends. It was there in my refrigerator for a long time. I wondered what to make and my sister gave the idea of making dal with that. It is very simple to make but it is too good with chapati as well as rice.
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
Spice level – 3
No of Servings – 2 to 3
- Indian yellow cucumber (medium size) – 1 (chopped)
- Onion (medium size) – 1 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1(chopped)
- Green chillies – 4 (slitted lengthwise)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (crushed)
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Toor dal / Red gram lentil – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly – 1
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 string
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add green chillies followed by ginger, garlic, chopped onions and salt.
- Fry them till they become translucent and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till they become soft and add the turmeric powder followed by the dosakaya, toor dal and water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- After opened, season it with the seasoning items mentioned.
- Serve hot with chapati or rice and ghee.