I love keerai kootu..especially with Amaranth leaves(mulai keerai). We could not find it in U.S. But even with the spinach kootu is very tasty. Spinach has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in antioxidants, especially when fresh, steamed, or quickly boiled. It is a rich source of all most all the vitamins, iron and calcium.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
No of Servings: 3-4
Spice level: 3
- Spinach – 4 cups (Roughly chopped)
- Moong dal – 1/3 cup
- Onion – 1/2 (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1/2 (chopped)
- Green chilly – 1
- Sambar powder – 1 1/2 tsp (according to spice level)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Seasoning vadagam – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Pressure cook the moong dal for 3 whistles with a pinch of asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the seasoning vadagam.
- Then add the green chilly followed by the chopped onions.
- Fry them till they become translucent and add the tomatoes.
- Then add the chopped spinach with little water.
- Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and allow it to boil for 6 minutes.
- Then add the cooked dal and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.