Matar (peas) Paneer (cottage cheeses) is one of the most popular North Indian dish. And it’s one of my most favorite dishes too. Back home in India, whenever I go to a restaurant I used to order matar paneer or paneer butter masala and naan without skipping a beat. My family and friends used to tease me for it.
I always wanted to try matar paneer in my kitchen. I’ve tried Butter paneer masala so many times but never tried matar paneer. So I tried making matar paneer and it came out awesome, if I say so myself. As usual my best critic (my husband) loved it. Try this yummy recipe and definitely you will love it too.
- Paneer cubes / Cottage cheese : 2 cups (fried paneer)
- Green Peas : 1/2 cup (I’ve used frozen green peas)
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Bay leaves : 1
- Cinnamon stick : 1/2 “
- Red chili powder : 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder : 2 tsp
- Kasuri methi : 3/4 tsp ( dry fenugreek leaves)
- Heavy cream : 1/4 cup
- Garam masala powder : 1/4 tsp
- Onion : 1 1/2 cups
- Tomato : 2 (finely chopped)
- Green chilies : 4-5 ( according to your spice level)
- Ginger : 1 1/2 ” (chopped)
- Salt : according to your taste
Method Of Preparation :
- Heat oil in a kadai add onions, ginger and green chilies. Fry them for few minutes.
- After that add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder fry them for 3-4 minutes in simmer flame.
- Finally add the tomatoes, salt and garam masala powder sautee them for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat let it cool and after that grind the whole mixture into coarse paste by adding little water .
- Now heat the same kadai with remaining oil and add cumin seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- After it sputters add the ground paste into it and cook them in low flame.
- Bring them to boil and after that add kasuri methi and green peas.
- Cook them for about 4-5 minutes and add the fried paneer cubes into them.
- Cover it with lid and cook them for another 4-5 minutes.
- Finally add the heavy cream and bring them into boil. Remove from heat.
- Serve it hot with naan and roti.