Methi Malai Paneer is a delicious Indian gravy cooked with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and fenugreek leaves in a creamy sauce. It is served along with roti or anyIndian breads. This is a simple recipe and can be prepared quickly for a party or for everyday dinner or lunch. Whenever I go to the Indian store, I don’t forget to pick a bunch of methi or fenugreek leaves. I love to make some methi dal or a gravy for my roti and rice. It has a lot of medicinal values and is nutritious. Enjoy the curry with roti or phulkas.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
No. of servings: 5 to 6
Spice level: 3 out of 5
- Chopped onions – 2 cups
- Puree from 2 big roma tomatoes
- Fresh methi leaves (Fresh fenugreek leaves) – 3 cups
- Fried paneer – 1 cup (8 oz or 200 gram)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 3
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – 3 tbsp
- Chicken masala or Chicken curry masala – 3 tsp (I used Shakthi masala, any brand would be fine.)
- Amchur powder – 1/2 tsp
- Unsalted cashew nut – 2 tbsp
- Unsalted blanched almonds – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Heavy cream – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil and ghee in a non-stick or regular pan and add a pinch of asafoetida followed by finely chopped garlic.
- Add onions and a little salt and saute until onions are soft and cooked.
- In between, soak cashew nut and almonds in milk for 10 minutes and grind it to a paste.
- Now add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, chili powder, chicken masala. If you do not have chicken masala, you may substitute it with kitchen king masala.
- Cook for minute and add amchur powder and 2 tbsp of kasoori methi by crushing it between your palms. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add fresh methi leaves and saute until it shrinks. Add a little water and cook for another 5 minutes or until everything comes together.
- Add fresh cream and when it starts boiling add cashew and almond paste and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of kasoori methi and fried paneer.
- Add some water and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Roti or Pulao.