Mixed vegetable kootu/Mixed vegetable curry
This is mixed vegetable curry with spices, a south Indian dish which is simple and healthy. Spices like jeera, pepper and red chillies are used. They give a good flavour for the dish and have good values. Pepper is good for digestion, cold and flu. Cumins are good appetizer. Squash and carrot can be replaced by any other vegetables like beans, plantain, pumpkin, etc.
- Yellow squash (chopped) – 2 cups
- Carrot (chopped) – 1 1/2 cup
- Tomato -1
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup (adjust to taste)
- Green chilly (2″) – 1
- Dried red chillies (2″) – 2
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
- Chop the vegetables length wise at about 1″ in size.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter, add coriander seeds, urad dal, channa dal, red chilles, black pepper followed by green chilly.
- Fry them all till dals become golden brown and remove from heat.
- Now add coconut to it and toss for few secs.
- In between add the carrots in boiling water and cook for about 4 to 5 mins (don’t overcook )
- Heat the remaining oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds
- Once they splutter, add urad dal and fry till golden brown
- Add chopped tomato and toss till it becomes soft
- Now add the squash and cooked carrot
- Combine them, add little water and allow them to cook well. Cover and cook if necessary
- Grind the coconut and spices by adding required water
- Add the paste to the cooked vegetables, add some water and combine them
- Remove from heat before it starts boiling.
Serve hot with sambar/rasam rice or with steamed rice.