I was planning to make this sambar sadam since a long time. After I saw this recipe in Sharmispassions.com by Sharmilee, I loved it.
I tried this sambar rice and it really tastes like Vasantha Bhavan’s sambar rice I added the vegetables to my taste and I’ve also added the green chilli. This is really a very nice recipe and easy to make too. I’ve suggested this recipe to couple of my friends and everyone said it came out really good.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Spice level : 3 out of 5
No of Servings : 3-4
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida: a pinch
- Curry leaves: a few
- Green chilly : 1
- Shallots: 9
- Tomato: 1 (chopped)
- Salt: to taste
- Drumsticks: 3-4 (You can use any type of vegetables)
- Brinjal: 1
- Beans: 6
- Carrot: 1/2
- Potato : 1(small)
- Capsicum : 1/2
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Rice : 1 cup
- Toor dal: 1/2 cup
- Tamarind: lemon size
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the rice and toor dal for 15 minutes
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and the mustard seeds.
- After it spluttered, add the fennel seeds followed by the asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilly and shallots.
- Fry the shallots till they become translucent and add the chopped tomatoes followed by the salt.
- Now add all the vegetables followed by turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Fry them for 2 minutes.
- Take 2 cups of tamarind extract and add to the mixture.
- Now add the soaked rice and dal and 3 more cups of water.
- Now cover the lid and pressure cook it for 6 whistles.
- After opening the lid add the coriander leaves and the ghee.
- Mix well and serve when it is hot with chips or potato fry.