Sorakaya Poriyal / Bottle Gourd Stir Fry
I generally make kootu with Bottle gourd. Today I enjoyed my meal with Vathakuzhambu, Paruppu Thuvayal and Sorakaya Poriyal. This stir fry is a very simple dish and it is tasty too. Generally it goes well with any spicy curry.
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
Spice level : 3
No of Servings : 3
- Bottle (small size) – 1 (chopped into small cubes)
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4 (slitted lengthwise)
- Channa dal – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Urad dal split – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Soak the channa dal for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds followed by urad dal, asafoetida, green chillies and chopped onions.
- Fry till they become translucent and add the soaked channa dal and the chopped bottle gourd.
- Add some turmeric powder and water and cook it in a medium flame by covering the lid.
- After 10 to 15 minutes when the dal and the vegetables are completely cooked, remove the lid and add some salt.
- Cook till the water gets completely evaporated and add the grated coconut.
- Serve hot with Kara kuzhambu or Vathakuzhambu and papad.