Thakkali Thokku – Tomato Pickle
Ever year we plant some vegetables in our garden. This year we planted Tomatoes, Green chilies, coriander and Mint. I’ve made this thokku (pickle) from our garden picked fresh tomatoes. I din’t know what to do with lots of tomatoes we are harvesting so I’ve made thokku this time since I can store this for a long time in the fridge.
This can go as a great side dish with idly, dosa or chapathi.
- Tomatoes : 8
- Garlic : 7-8 (pressed)
- Oil : 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing : a pinch
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp ( according to your spice level)
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
Method Of Preapartion:
- Make tomato puree out of the tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a wide pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal and hing.
- After it sputters add the garlic , fry them for 2 mins.
- Finally add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder.
- Cook in slow heat until it becomes thick and oil starts leaving on sides and top. Make sure you stir every 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat once the consistency is thick and oil starts floating on top. Store it in an air-tight container.
- You can use it up to a couple of months.