Ever year we plant some vegetables in our garden. This year we planted Tomatoes, Green chilies, coriander and Mint. I’ve made this thokku (pickle) from our garden picked fresh tomatoes. I din’t know what to do with lots of tomatoes we are harvesting so I’ve made thokku this time since I can store this for a long time in the fridge.
This can go as a great side dish with idly, dosa or chapathi.
- Tomatoes : 8
- Garlic : 7-8 (pressed)
- Oil : 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal : 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing : a pinch
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp ( according to your spice level)
- Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
Method Of Preapartion:
- Make tomato puree out of the tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a wide pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal and hing.
- After it sputters add the garlic , fry them for 2 mins.
- Finally add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder.
- Cook in slow heat until it becomes thick and oil starts leaving on sides and top. Make sure you stir every 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat once the consistency is thick and oil starts floating on top. Store it in an air-tight container.
- You can use it up to a couple of months.