This is a simple recipe for tomato chutney. It just takes a few minutes to make and you can serve it with idly or dosa. I have added coconut and roasted channa dal which makes it different from the regular tomato chutney. Try this version of chutney and let me know how you like it.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
No. of servings: 4 to 5
Spice level: 3.5 out of 5
- Big Roma tomatoes – 2
- Green chilies – 4
- Shredded coconut – 1/4 cup
- Pottukadalai (roasted channa dal) - 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- For seasoning: 1 tsp oil, mustard seeds – 1 tsp, urad dal – 1 tsp, a few curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pan and add green chilies, chopped tomatoes and a little salt.
- Saute until tomatoes are cooked and mashed. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Grind along with coconut, channa dal and some more salt to a smooth mixture. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds. After it splutters, add urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida. Remove when urad dal becomes golden brown.
- Add it to the chutney. Serve with dosa or idli.