Carrot Pachadi – Carrot Salad
Pachadi is a South Indian dish which has different definitions among different South India regions. In Tamilnadu, generally pachadi is made from fresh vegetables like carrot, cucumber, mango, etc along with green chilies and seasoned with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Sometimes coconut is also added. Today I have made carrot pachadi or salad which is very simple and tasty. You can serve it along with rice and sambar (lentil curry) or rasam. When you want to make a simple and healthy side for the sambar or rasam, you can count on this. Here you go…
- Carrots – 6
- Yogurt – 1 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2
- Curry leaves – 6 to 7 leaves
Method of Preparation:
- Peel the outer skin off carrots, cut the edges and shred using your shredder or food processor.
- Whisk yogurt in a bowl along with salt and add the freshly shredded carrot.
- Mix well and check for salt. If it’s thick, add some more yogurt.
- In a small pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- Once it splutters, add urad dal and let it become golden brown.
- Finally add green chilies and curry leaves and give it a stir and remove from heat.
- Add it to the carrot yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Serve chill with rice and sambar or rasam.