Masoor dal Sambar – Lentil Soup
It’s easy to make and goes very well with dosa and idli. It’ s a great and tasty south Indian breakfast dish. One of my fav too. Try this recipe and let me know how it came out.
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
Spice level : 3 out of 5
No of servings : 2 to 3
- Masoor dal (Red split lentils) – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 5
- Onion – 1/2 (Roughly chopped lengthwise)
- Tomato – 1/2
- Green chillies – 4 (slitted lengthwise)
- Sambar powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind – Small lemon size (take the tamarind extract)
Method of Preparation:
- Pressure cook the masoor dal with a pinch of asafoetida and little turmeric for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds followed by asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Add the onions and shallots and fry them till they turn pink.
- Add the tomato by squeezing it and add the salt, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
- Fry them for 2 minutes and the cooked dal and water to the required consistency.
- When the dal starts to boil add the tamarind water.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes and finally add the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with idli, dosa or pongal.