My mom got this recipe from one of our family friends in Salem and then she used to make this Tomato Curry often. I love this Thakkali Kuzhambu especially with dosa and Kuzhipaniyaram. This is very simple to make and will be different from regular chutneys.
Time of Preparation : 20 minutes
Spice level : 3
No of Servings : 3 to 4
Method of Preparation:
- Roma tomatoes – 6 (chopped)
- Pearl Onions – 15
- Red Chillies – 8 to 10 (according to spice level)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (pressed)
- Coconut – 1/4 cup (grated)
- Split dalia – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1″
- Cloves – 2
- Curry leaves – a few
- Heat oil in a pan and add the red chillies followed by the pearl onions.
- Fry till they become translucent and add the garlic followed by the chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt and fry them till they become soft.
- Add the coconut and turn of the heat.
- Let them cool and grind them along with the split dalia.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the seasoning items.
- Add some water to the ground mixture pour it in the kadai.
- Add more water if needed to get thick kuzhambu consistency.
- Check for the salt now and add if needed.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Idly, dosa, Kuzhipaniyaram, Utthappam etc..