This Red chilly chutney is for those who want a real spicy chutney. This is my mother-in-law’s special chutney. When I had this for the first time I had this with a spoon of sesame oil. I love this chutney especially with hot idlis.:)
Time of Preparation : 30 minutes
Spice level : 5 out of 5
No of Servings : 3 to 4
- Pearl onions / Shallots – 1 and 1/4 cup
- Tomato – 3/4 cup (chopped)
- Garlic – 8 cloves
- Red chillies – 10
- Sesame oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a few
Method of Preparation:
- Grind the red chillies followed by the shallots and garlic coarsely.
- Add tomatoes and salt and grind coarsely.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Now add the ground chutney and sautee it in medium heat.
- Sautee for 15 minutes till it becomes thick
- Serve it with hot idlis.
- Should not add water for this chutney.
- We have to sautee till it loses the water content from tomatoes.