Onion Tomato Chutney
I love onion tomato chutney especially for dosa and utthappam. We can make onion and tomato chutney in different ways. By adding and changing few ingredients we can change the taste. This version of onion and tomato chutney is my mother-in-law’s special. This time when I went to India I got the recipe from her. I found it very different as we add the dhals too for grinding. Here is the recipe for this spicy and tasty chutney
Preparation time : 10 to 15 minutes
No of Servings : 2
Spice level : 3 to 4
- Pearl onions or (1 medium size onion)- 1 Cup
- Tomato – 1/2 (chopped)
- White lentil (Urad dhal) – 1 tbsp
- Bengal gram (Channa dhal) – 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies – 3 or 4 (according to spice level)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the red chillies, urad dhal and channa dhal.
- Fry till they turn slightly brown and add the onions
- Fry them till they become translucent and add the tomatoes.
- Add little salt and fry till the tomatoes become soft.
- Let them cool and grind them to a smooth paste.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Serve it with hot idli, dosa or utthappam.