Okra also known as lady’s finger is popular in Indian cuisine. It is chopped and stir fried along with spices and used in gravy based dishes, in morkuzhambu or khadi and in sambar, etc. Today I have made a stir fry along with peanuts and spices. I tasted this in one of our friend’s party and I loved it. I tried it recently and it came out really good. Those who don’t like okra will definitely fall in love with this. Try this and let me know. Here you go…
Preparation time: 30 minutes
No. of servings: 3
Spice level: 3.5 out of 5
- Okra – 300 grams
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Curry powder or sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal or split white lentils – 1 tsp
- Channa dal or split bengal gram – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and cut okra into 3/4 th inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add peanuts and let it fry for a minute and then add urad dal followed by channa dal.
- When the lentils become golden brown, add okra and salt.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 6 minutes at medium heat or less than that.
- Open the lid, give it a stir and add curry powder or sambar powder, chili powder and cumin powder.
- Mix well, sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove the lid, give it a stir. Repeat the same process till okra is completely cooked and crisp.
- Don’t let it over cook and get mashed.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.