Pacharisi Idli (Raw Rice Idli) – Step by Step Instructions
I have already shared a recipe for idli here. This is another type of idli called Pacharisi Idli ( or Raw Rice Idli) which is made with raw rice and urad dal. This idli is prepared during Ganesh Chaturthi and Varalakshmi Vratham. The ratio of raw rice to urad dal is 2:1 which makes the idli softer. Methi seeds or fenugreek seeds can also be added.
For those who do not know about Idli, this is South Indian’s staple food served with chutney and sambar (lentil soup). It is soft and fluffy and bland. Perfect for kids. Wet grinder is used for grinding rice and lentils. The batter is allowed to ferment overnight or 8 to 10 hours and then used for making idlis.
Enjoy your homemade idlis!!
- Raw rice (pacharisi) – 2 cups
- Whole urad dal – 1 cup
- Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil or can spray
Preparation of batter:
- Wash and soak rice with fenugreek seeds for 6 hours or overnight and urad dal for 3 hours.
- Drain and grind urad dal, preferably in a wet grinder until a smooth batter is formed. Add water while grinding. Transfer it to a container.
- Drain and add rice with fenugreek seeds to the grinder and grind it to a slightly coarse batter adding water in between.
- Transfer the batter to the same container and add a little salt. Mix well so that both the batters combine well.
- My mom says you need to use your hand (of course clean hand) for mixing the batter which promotes heat and helps in fermenting. I always follow that.
- Let it rest overnight or for 8 hours. Keep it in a warm place such as the conventional oven or near the stove or refrigerator.
- It will be fermented and risen. Give it a gentle stir and refrigerate it in an airtight container. It stays upto 2 weeks.
Grease the idli plates with oil or can spray. Pour a ladle full of batter in each dent and line the idli plates.
Add a cup of water in the idli cooker or pressure cooker and place the idli plates and close the lid. Cook over medium flame for 12 minutes.
Remove from cooker and transfer the idlis to a hot pack. Use a flat spoon and dip it in water every time before you take off idlis from the plate.
Serve idlis hot with chutney and sambar/idli podi.